Skip to content

Man Facing Three Charges After Route 1 Incident

A Saint John man faces a trio of charges after an incident that shut down part of Route 1 west of the city earlier this week.

Mounties say they stopped a suspected suspended driver on Route 1 near Prince of Wales shortly after 11 a.m. Monday and saw a firearm in the vehicle.

“The driver fled the scene in the vehicle, narrowly missing nearby police officers,” RCMP said in a news release Wednesday.

According to police, the vehicle went the wrong way down the highway before getting onto an off-road trail about five kilometres away.

Officers from the RCMP and the Saint John Police Force set up a perimeter, shutting down the highway and urging businesses in the Lorneville area to shelter in place.

Mounties said the vehicle was found empty in a nearby wooded area and the driver emerged from the woods nearby, surrendering to officers without incident.

Calvin Burns-Smith, 27, is charged with flight from police, assaulting a peace officer, and dangerous operation of a conveyance.

Burns-Smith was remanded into custody and is due back in court Thursday for a bail hearing.

Author

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBnews@radioabl.ca.

 

What’s Trending